It is a set of techniques, methods, and tools that allow better visibility on the web and in search engine results, also called SERP (Search Engine Result Page). There are four types of SEOs:
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO). It allows you to position yourself naturally in the results pages. This is why it is more often called natural referencing.
- Search Engine Advertising (SEA). It literally translates into the establishment of advertising campaigns. In general, we talk about paid referencing.
- Search Engine Marketing (SEM). It is a marketing strategy that brings together both SEO and SEA.
- Search Media Optimization (SMO). This part is dedicated to optimization for social networks. Search engine algorithms are increasingly taking into account the popularity of sites on networks for SERPs.
The goal of SEO is to get the best position in the results. You should also know that 33% of clicks are on the first position. We drop to almost 15% for the second. So imagine if you are on the second page.
How do search engines rank websites in SEO?
To index the sites, they will simply send robots to crawl the pages. This means that it will analyze the entire site, according to the conditions defined by the search engine.
Google allocates a crawl budget to each site, i.e. a limited number of pages that it will explore per day. It can be more or less important according to several criteria, which we will see later.
How does SEO work?
To optimize its natural referencing on the web, there are several points to work on. They are divided into three pillars, which are as important as each other :
The technique of SEO
You have to look inside the clock to improve the infrastructure and the performance of the site. The goal is to encourage the passage of robots and minimize the crawl budget. It goes through several points:
- The loading speed of fewer than 3 seconds.
- Clean HTML code (not always obvious especially when using a CMS such as WordPress where the theme is poorly coded basic).
- An architecture that is logical, with internal links that are consistent between the pages.
We can also talk about the responsive side, namely that your site must be optimized for mobiles and tablets, this is the norm now. We also talk about security. Google is starting to highlight secure sites, so at least in HTTPS.
Contents in SEO
This part rather represents the visible part of our clock. Here we find most of it when we talk about SEO. The contents are essential for good positioning. Google likes to have it, it is said that it is no longer a search engine, but a response engine. It will focus on answering questions from Internet users. Besides, you surely came to this article by searching for “What is SEO? “Or” How does SEO work? The goal is to answer a question as accurately as possible.
How to optimize content in SEO?
For that, we will have to work on several aspects of the page or article:
- Keywords: essential in an SEO content strategy. They will let Google know what you are talking about, what question you are answering. For example, in this article, the goal will be to position yourself on “SEO” or “Natural referencing”. We prefer the long-tail keywords, 3 or 4 words.
- Images: They should not be too heavy. Otherwise, they will slow down the loading of your site, as seen in the previous pillar. And above all, you should never forget to fill in the ALT tag. This allows the robot to know what the photo or illustration represents. It allows you to position yourself on image searches.
- Word count: As said above, Google loves content. So the more a page will be filled, with relevant and unique text. We start with a minimum of 700 words for a page and 1000 words for an article.
- The structure: I will detail it in several points.
- First, there is the tagging of titles. We always recommend having only one title in H1, which obviously contains the main keyword of the page or article, with a consistent title structure. We are not going to put a title H3 after an H1 for example, we will always start on a subtitle in H2 which could eventually lead to a lower level in H3. This is called semantic markup.
- Second, there are the Title and Meta tags, which will be the title and description of the page that will appear in the SERPs.
- Finally, there is the internal mesh. These are all the links that will send to another page or another article on your site. For example, if you want to know more about what Machinery offers, you can have a look on the page that is dedicated to SEO services.
- Quality: Content must be worked on and must provide an answer to your internet usage. We forget for a moment the optimization part and we think about what the user is looking for. If he came to your site, it is for a very specific reason, he has an expectation.
- Unique: We don’t copy on the neighbors! Your content must belong to you. It should reflect your way of thinking. A text copied/pasted from another is quickly spotted and sanctioned by Google’s algorithm. And once you’ve taken your hand in the bag, it’s not easy to regain your trust.
Being popular, being known, having weight, all these criteria will serve to define the authority of your site compared to others, in the same field. This part is particularly important and requires a lot of time and work. Because you will have to work your professional network, it is known by other sites. We are no longer talking about the competition at this stage, but mutual aid.
The objective will be to receive links from other websites that are in the same core business. But how do I get my neighbor to talk about me? There are several answers to this question. You can :
- Write guest articles, also called “Guest Blogging”, for another. In return, this person agrees to make a short presentation of you or your company with a link to your site.
- Having an article in a local newspaper will allow you not only to make yourself known around you but also to have a link to your site on the online version.
- You can still try to register in online directories. But this practice does little or nothing to improve your authority. On the other hand, register on directories specialized in your field. The algorithm can see that there is a product effort not to be anywhere.
It is not a pillar of SEO SEO itself. It is certain that if your site is simply optimized for the search engines and that it is not also thought for the user, then this one will not remain above.
Internet users should be able to navigate simply, without having to think like robots. For that, it is necessary that the site has an attractive design, even personalized with the colors of the company. It must, of course, be compatible with any medium. 54% of searches are now done on mobile.
And your pages should load quickly. User experience begins with the loading of the site. If it takes more than 3 seconds, 40% of users will not allow the data to load.
Conclusion, what is SEO?
In the end, we can say that natural referencing is the use of techniques and tools to improve your website. The objective is to improve it to encourage the passage of indexing robots, but also to respond precisely to the questions asked by Internet users.
This improves the visibility of search results, thereby generating more traffic to the site.
How to improve your SEO?
- Work on the technical part, improving the data and minimizing the loading time
- Optimize content and adopt a keyword strategy to improve understanding by Google’s algorithm
- Grow your authority by writing content for sites in your core business that will link back to yours
- Do not forget the visitor and do not neglect their experience on your site